Fay Jackson B.Crea.Vis. Arts, Dip. Ed.
Fay Jackson is the director of Vision In Mind. She offers
consultancy in Mental Health in the work place, corporate
services, Non Government Organizations, community, federal and state governments.
Fay is a multi award winning national motivational speaker, educator,
advocate and voice for mental health. One of the most engaging things about fay is how she adapts to each of her audiences and people often comment to the conference organizers things like: "She makes you feel like she is talking directly to you". "She is the best speaker I have heard in years", "She was the best speaker at the conference", "I laughed and I cried, she is hillarious but so real", "when you go up to speak with her after the conference she makes you feel like you really matter to her".
She has been awarded Principal Master Trainer status with Mental Health First Aid and last year was awarded the inaugural MHFA Champion Award. She is regularly engaged
to advise the NSW and federal governments, and Non Government
Organizations (NGOs), on the state and conditions of mental
illness and mental health in the community, services, and
Fay also is proud to be a person with mental illness. She
has bipolar disorder and refers to herself, with tongue in
cheek, as a Psychologically Diverse Citizen or PDC. She also
refers to people without mental illness as Psychologically
Ordinary Citizens or POCs and laughs at the number of people
who come out of the wood work and honestly declare
themselves as PDCs if the alternative is to be called a POC.
Previous to starting Vision In Mind Fay was in a top management position as the Director of Consumer, Carer and Community Affairs, Mental Health, for a large area health service. In that time she designed and implemented many unique strategies including the creative Communications Strategy which lead to her and the Illawarra Area Health Service winning many awards at a state level.
|Fay tours Australia as a motivational speaker and educator and while her aim is to impart knowledge, her addresses are emotional and humorous. Her audiences laugh and cry as she breaks down myths and empowers them. She believes that professionalism should not be void of emotions and laughter.
Shewas the first Consumer speaker for beyond Blue and is a national media representative consulting to Rotary
Health Research Fund, SANE Australia, Beyondblue, and the
NSW Centre for Mental Health. Her aim is to destigmatise
Mental Health in the workplace and community and to ensure
that it is seen as an integral part of WHS and performance
outcomes in the workforce, services, education etc.
She in invited to speak internationally and has even spoken about Mental Health and Climate Change at the South East Asian Summit on Climate Change which was attended by climate change specialists from across the globe including Europe, Brittain etc. She has been
invited to speak at Parliament on a number of occasions.
Fay is passionate about leading employers, employees
and the community to be proactive in the mental health of
nation. She has been honored with several
awards for advocacy and consultancy at state and national
including the prestigious national Rotary Meritorious
Service to the Australian Community medal.
Fay is also an accomplished
artist and writer. She has had several successful exhibitions
and has had both short stories and poetry published. She has worked as
up comic and clown and has a background in secondary education
and the building industry. Diverse… yes! Knowledgeable, absolutely! Engaging… definitely.
She has an incredible story to tell
of overcoming great hardships but she loves a good challenge.
Fay lives by two mottos, ‘A
life lived in fear is a life half lived’ and ‘Make
your mark but don’t leave a stain’.
- NSW State Government Mental Health Task Force
- NSW Mental Health Commission
- NSW Ministry of Health
- Federal government Consumer Representative Group
- Centre for Mental Health
- Mental Health Council of Australia
- CAN, Consumer Activity Network (Mental Health) Inc.
- National Consumer and Carer Forum, auspiced out of the Mental
Health Council of Australia
- Schizophrenia Fellowship of Australia
- National Coalition Advisory Council of Mental Health
- Beyondblue, National Depression Initiative
- Rotary Health Research Fund
- NSW CAG (Consumer Advocacy Group)
- NHMRC Project into Early Detection and Intervention in Psychosis
- NSW, Art Gallery
- Consultancy to many state, federal and private bodies.
- Award winning presentations and keynote speeches of papers
at conferences throughout Australia 2002-current.
- Consultancy to NSW State Government Mental Health Task
- Board Member CAN, Consumer Activity Network, 2006
- National Motivational speaker and consultant for the Rotary
Health Research Fund, 2000-current.
- National Consumer Media Representative for SANE Australia,
- National radio and television interviews as Consumer Consultant
and Advocate (city, urban and regional stations,
e.g., Radio National, JJJ HAC, ABC Local Radio, several commercial
- State Consumer Representative Center for Mental Health,
- Appointed as the NSW representative for the National Coalition
Advocacy Advisory Council for Mental Health, 2002
- Committee member of the National Consumer
and Carer Forum, 2002-2004
- Delivered paper at the THEMES Conference, 2002-2003
- Regular Guest Speaker, Wollongong University, 2000-current.
- Consumer Advocate and Consultant, NSW Parliament, 2001-2004
- Consultancy documentation to Beyondblue, 2001-current.
- Multicultural Consultant for NSW Dept. of Education,
- Invited to speak for International Women’s
Day, Shoalhaven, 1997
- Invited to contribute both short stories and
poems on women’s
issues, Women in Focus, 1997
- Designed and directed the Port Folio, Émigré’,
Multicultural Arts Festival at Port Kembla,
- Board Member for the establishment of the Birthing
Clinic at the Bowral Hospital 1980’s.
- Councilor, consultant, program designer,
Young Life Australia, 1981-1983
- Mental Health First Aid, ANU, Canberra, 2003
- Graduate Diploma of
Education, Wollongong University, 1998
- Bachelor of Creative Arts,
Wollongong University, 1993-95.
Art Therapy Unit, Wollongong University, 1994
- Cert IV Frontline Management
- Cert IV IAP2 Public Participation
and Selection Training, IH, 2003
- HR Management, (90007), NSW Health, 2003
- Budget Management Training, NSW Health, Illawarra Health 2004
- Aggression Minimization, 2004, VETAB
- Consumer Advocacy Training, New South Wales Institute of Psychiatry,
- Suicide Intervention, Living Works, 1998
- Conferencing Under the Young Offenders Act (NSW) 1997- A
course for Conveners, NSW Department of Juvenile
- Director of Consumer, Carer and Community Affairs, Illawarra
Mental Health, 2003-2005
- Senior Consumer Consultant, Illawarra Area Health, Shellharbour
- Teacher, Illawarra secondary schools, Art and Drama,
The following positions were/are on a contract, casual, or consultancy
- NSW Representative, National Consumer and Carer Forum, 2002-2003
- NSW Representative for the National Coalition Advocacy Advisory
Council for Mental Health, 2002-03
- Consultant, Beyondblue, National
Depression Initiative, 2001-current
- Consultant Rotary Health Research Fund, 2001-current
- National Motivational speaker for The Rotary Mental Health
Research Fund, 2001-current
- Dept. of Education, Jamberoo Public School, Illaroo Road,
Nowra Public School, Berry Public School, Cambewarra
Art-I-Culture Multicultural Program.1997
- Art Teacher, Kiama Adult Education, 1997
- Self-Employed Artist, 1996-97
- Art/Drama Teacher, Southern Highland Home Schooling Association,
1992-93 (permanent, part time)
- Curator and Supervisor for Port Kembla Arts Festival,
- Established “That Special Effect”, painting commissions,
murals painted finishes, etc. 1991-96
- Art Teacher, Bowral Studios, The Paper Place Bowral,
- Actor/Clown, contract basis 1990- yes I still dabble a
- Drawing Teacher, Adult Education Bowral, 1990
- Art/ Drama Coordinator/ Teacher, Southern Highlands
Christian High School, Bowral, 1986-89
- Nurses Aid, Aged Care, 1980